I got so much done over the weekend. I’m very close to being done with the Stent Panel workbench.
First, I added pine veneer to the cheek of each of the tenons, which is part 1 of the joinery strategy for a stretcher-less workbench. Part 2 is using my new mortise float to square and plumb each mortise (although a rasp would work equally well). Part 3 is shoulder planing the opposite side of the tenon to perfect, piston-fit.
Speaking of tenons, three out of four legs are completely done, with the fourth in process. They are stouter than I anticipated and I’m confident in the plan for the workbench. Overall weight should be close to 200 lbs. once assembled.
The fourth leg is only in process because I finally added the show face to the slab, which took all but one of my parallel jaw clamps. It was an excellent glue-up, though, and I can’t wait until the show face is glistening from final planing.
There is technically only one more board to glue up (the inside board on the front right leg), although I expect the crochet will be laminated. In addition, I need two new short stretchers. The old ones no longer fit with the fatter tenons sitting differently in the mortises.
That’s it for now. Looks like I need one more weekend to finish everything. The very last step will be to rough flush the mortise strips with the rest of the benchtop using a hand-held power planer. Final flattening will occur once it’s back home and in place.