There is a very specific admonition in the December 2015 Popular Woodworking article on the Japanese Sliding-lid Box. It says “Hand-cut finger joints have to be assembled like dovetail joints.” I had never cut finger joints before, so this warning never registered with me. Until last weekend, that is.
Above is a finger joint for the saw till in my ever-progressing tool chest. There is no shoulder on the pin piece, so I figured it would assemble like a lap joint (by pressing the two pieces together when already overlapped). But when I tried, the joint did not fit together. Just before grabbing a chisel to fiddle with the pin recess, I remembered, randomly, the warning in the article from over 2 years ago. So I tried assembling it like a dovetail joint. And it fit. Perfectly. With no gaps all around.
This isn’t the first time I’ve had something register without actually registering. I’m continually surprised by how efficient the human brain is at absorbing and cataloging for indeterminate future use. But I’m glad it did, as any further fiddling would have ruined the fit of the joint.
As for the saw till itself, while the execution is sufficient, I am not super pleased with the design. At 7.5″ wide, it’s designed to hold eight total saws (coarse rip panel, fine rip panel, cross cut panel, cross cut tenon, rip cut tenon, dovetail, large rip cut tenon and a soon to be purchased large cross cut tenon). But the large rip cut tenon felt too crowded with the others (even without the large cross cut tenon) to pair with.
I think I need to divide the saw till in two: one for panel saws and large back saws, and then another for small back saws. Regardless, the next iteration definitely needs some slightly-refined kerf spacing.
Like in my dutch tool chest, I’ll leave the saw till loose (with only some abrasive sand paper on the bottom to keep it from sliding around too much). I worry that the long tool rack on the front wall will occlude my dovetail saw, so I want the ability to scoot is around the well as needed.
But for now, it works and I’ll move on to the aforementioned wall rack (for which I’ve refined the spacing of the 1/2″ holes a bit since the dutch tool chest).